Need to send a free SMS? Open Dingtone Messages and tap the “Edit Pen” on the upper right corner to start an SMS.
There are 2 kinds of Dingtone messages:
Free messages within Dingtone text free app: Free messages refer to the unlimited chatting you can do between Dingtone users.
Mobile SMS: Select “SMS” and directly enter the phone number or contact name to send the SMS or select from the list of contacts.
With Group SMS, you create a chat group and any member can reach all members of the group. With Broadcast SMS, you send an SMS to many recipients and they can only reply to you.
1. When using Dingtone to send an international SMS, remember to add the country code before the mobile number. For example, add “+91” before Indian numbers.
2. If you can’t access your contacts, you can go to your phone’s “Settings” -> “Privacy” -> “Contacts” and check that you have enabled Dingtone to access your contacts. This is to make sending an SMS more convenient and Dingtone will not invade on your privacy.
3. Due to regulatory reasons, you must have a Dingtone phone number to send SMS to recipients in U.S. and Canada.
1. Dingtone users with a U.S. or Canada mobile number linked with Dingtone can enjoy 30 free SMSs every day, the costs of the SMS will be covered by advertising. P.S. If you turn off the ads, then you will start paying for the SMSs. 2. Did you hide the ads by accident? Then you just have to wait one week for the “Enable Free Texting” button to reappear in the menu on the upper right corner of the SMS screen. Tap the button and you will start enjoying free SMSs again.
Of course! If you have a Dingtone phone number then you can send and receive SMSs, even on iPads, iPods and tablets. If you don’t have a Dingtone number then you can only send but cannot receive SMS.
1. Your specific cost for sending and receiving SMS can be found by tapping on “More” -> “Call Rates” then choose the desired country code to display the rate.
2. Non-Dingtone users sending and receiving SMS from a Dingtone user will be charged the rates of their local carrier. Dingtone users will also need to pay a small amount of Dingtone credits to receive the SMS. 【Note】The amount of Dingtone credits needed to receive SMS is usually less than the amount needed for sending SMS.
If you regularly send and receive SMS, especially international SMS, it is worth it to get an annual SMS plan: 6000 SMS for 600 Dingtone credits (including international SMS). Open Dingtone app, enter the “SMS” screen, choose a contact, open the menu on the upper right corner and then you will be able to Purchase Unlimited Text Plan.
Not only can you send a text-only SMS with Dingtone, but you can also send MMS with pictures, videos, location, voice message, etc. If you have an iPhone then you can also send doodles. Dingtone MMS will be sent as a link and the cost is the same as sending a text-only SMS.
When your friend receives your link, they can choose to download when they are on WiFi. This allows both parties to save costs and data usage when sending and receiving MMSs.
SMS sent by Dingtone cannot exceed 140 characters, including letters, spaces and punctuation marks. One Chinese word is equivalent to 2 characters. If you send a message that is over 140 characters, Dingtone will automatically split the message into 140 character size for sending. However, your long SMS cannot be over 900 characters. After you have typed 900 characters, any additional characters will not be sent.